The Bottom Line
Gas station gourmet? Those words don’t seem like they fit together but that was my experience at Wawa.
- The food is delicious and cheap!
- Ordering is quick and convenient.
- No muss, no fuss, just good food that can be made while you are gassing up or just heading home.
- When they run out of stuff, they are just out of it. It won’t be in again until the next day or later.
- The kiosk you order your sandwich on clears out too quickly. If you leave it alone for 10 seconds it auto cancels everything just spent time typing into it.
- Address: For the purpose of this review I went to the Fowler Avenue location near the University of South Florida. 2901 E. Fowler Ave. Tampa, FL, 33612. To see the other Wawa locations in Florida visit their website ,
- Phone: (813) 971-5434
- Hours: Wawa on Fowler is opened 24 hours a day, 7 days a week per their website. Hot Foods Menu is available from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily.
- Parking: Limited in front of the building and the parking lot was difficult to navigate when I stopped by because of long lines at the gas pumps.
Guide Review – Wawa
On a whim on my way home one evening I opted for a different route from the one I traditionally take and ended up on Fowler Avenue. I got crazy excited when I saw the Wawa opened there because everyone I know that has ever had one of their hoagies has raved about them. I’ve been wanting to try one ever since learning that a location opened at Gandy and Dale Mabry in South Tampa but just hadn’t made my way over there so I knew a hoagie was in my near future the minute I saw this one was open.
One U-turn and a difficult navigation through their parking lot later and I had arrived. I decided to get gas since I was there and then proceeded to find a parking spot because the lines were long for gas and I worried about making someone wait a while for me to return with my sandwich in hand.
As soon as I walked in the doors of this fancy gas station the cleanliness and organization of the place struck me as awesome. I wandered around for a few minutes just taking it all in but the smell of those hoagies made me drift quickly to the ordering kiosks. I glanced through the options and settled on a Cheesesteak Hoagie with roasted red peppers, mayo, mustard, lettuce and salt and pepper. Arguing with myself about whether I wanted a 6-inch or 10-inch sandwich led to the kiosk clearing my order and me having to start over. Then, I decided to get my husband a chicken quesadilla and that caused it to clear again as I debated about the cheese to put on it because they were out of one of the two cheeses recommended for this item.
Frustrated but not deterred, I ultimately got my order in and collected my ticket to head to the register to pay. While waiting to pay the s’mores pies caught my eye and I added that to my order. I paid and then made my way back to the food counter to collect my food and decided it was best to chow down right away. Outside in front of the station are a couple of tables with chairs so I plopped down and began to eat. Before I knew it my sandwich was just a memory and my belly thanked me for getting the 10-inch. I had planned on eating half then and half at home but it was so good I literally could not put it down. So yummy!
As for the chicken quesadilla, my husband was very pleasantly surprised with the quality, taste and the price of it regardless of the fact that it came from a gas station and was missing one of the recommended cheeses. He said it was one of the few quesadillas he’s had in his life that didn’t really need sour cream but that it added a nice bonus.
Once that huge sandwich settled I decided it was time to try that s’mores pie. It was just as delicious as I had hoped for. The best part was it was two little pies instead of one big one so I was able to easily share it with my hubby. My only regret about what I ordered at Wawa? That I didn’t get one of their frozen blended beverages. I’ll have to try one the next time I visit.
So, if you haven’t figured it out by now, I definitely would recommend a Wawa hoagie! Your belly will thank you too. I now understand why everyone raves about their hoagies and I will be raving about them to others as well from now on.