Following is a summary of New Year's Eve events around the Tampa Bay area.
- Tangerine Time New Year’s Eve Celebration – Wednesday, Dec. 31, 9 p.m. to midnight, at Jerome Brown Community Center, Tom Varn Park Complex, 99 Jerome Brown Place, off Darby Lane, Brooksville. Nonalcoholic, family event. Games, food, live entertainment, midnight countdown and lighted tangerine drop. Admission is free, but attendees are encouraged to bring a nonperishable food item to be donated to the Salvation Army. Call 352-799-7420 or 352-544-5407.
- Hernando County Fair Association’s New Year’s Eve Celebration – Wednesday, Dec. 31, at 6436 Broad St., Brooksville. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. with dinner at 8 p.m. and entertainment by Clay Keith from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Tickets are $25 a person. Call 352-796-4552 or 352-796-0600.
- St. Jude Knights of Columbus New Year’s Celebration – Wednesday, Dec. 31, at 10470 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Dinner catered by Argento’s, music by Larry Greer. Doors open at 7 p.m. Cost is $50 a person which includes an open bar from 8 p.m. to midnight. Reservations required. Call 352-683-1227.
- New Year’s Eve with John Pinette – Wednesday, Dec. 31, at Tampa Improv, 1600 E. Eighth Ave., Centro Ybor, Ybor City. Ages 21 and older. Dinner show with buffet seating at 5:30 p.m. and show at 7:30 p.m. Cost is $55 a person. New Year’s Eve Celebration show seating at 10 p.m. Cost is $48 a person. Call 813-864-4000.
- Aqua-Eve at the Florida Aquarium – Wednesday, Dec. 31, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., at the Florida Aquarium, 701 Channelside Drive, Tampa. Live music, food, beer and wine and a champagne toast. Offers a perfect place to view Channelside’s New Year’s Eve fireworks display. Cost is $100, with discounts available for aquarium members. Call 813-273-4030.
- Punchlines for 2009 – Wednesday, Dec. 31, 10:30 p.m. to 1 a.m., at Side Splitters, 12938 N. Dale Mabry Highway, Tampa. Ages 21 and older. Laugh in the new year with comedian Carl Labove. Open bar, party favors, champagne toast, music and dancing and a complimentary continental breakfast. Cost is $60 in advance, $65 day of show. Call 813-960-1197.
- TBPAC New Year’s Eve – Wednesday, Dec. 31, at Maestro’s, Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, 1010 N. MacInnes Place, Tampa. Dinner package, with seating at 5 and 8 p.m., includes champagne, an appetizer, soup, entrée and dessert. After party package, from 9:30 p.m. to 1 a.m., includes live music by Vodkanauts, a cash bar and two drink tickets, party favors, large screen TV with the ball drop, a champagne toast at midnight and coffee and gourmet cookies. Cost is $49 a person for dinner package, $39 a person for after party. Call 813-222-1072.
- Rewind at Skipper’s – Rewind: The WMNF Tribute to the Music and Songs of 1968, Wednesday, Dec. 31, 7 p.m., at Skipper’s Smokehouse, 910 Skipper Road, Tampa. Bay area bands including Talk to Mark, boon, Crabgrass Cowboys, Rancid Polecats, Ted Lukas, Christie Lenee, Lush Progress and Roppongi’s Ace, will perform three songs each from 1968. Champagne toast and breakfast. Cost is $25 in advance, $30 at the door. Call 813-238-8001.
- New Year’s Eve Party – Wednesday, Dec. 31, 8:30 p.m., at Ace’s, 4343 Palma Sola Blvd., Bradenton. Live entertainment by Jason Ricci and New Blood, with special guest Tucci. Cost is $20 in advance, $25 at the door. Call 941-795-3886.
- New Year’s Eve Bash with Sister Hazel – Wednesday, Dec. 31, at Jannus Landing, 16 Second St. N., St. Petersburg. All ages welcome. Doors open at 7 p.m. Show starts at 8 p.m. Party favors, champagne toast. Tickets are $39.99 in advance.
- Beak’s Old Florida New Year’s Eve – Wednesday, Dec. 31, 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m., at Beak’s Old Florida, 2451 Central Ave., St. Petersburg. Ages 21 and older. Live music featuring Ricky Wilcox and Liz Pennock & Dr. Blues; contests and prizes; noisemakers and a champagne toast. Free admission. Call 727-321-9100.
- Swingin’ New Year’s Eve – Wednesday, Dec. 31, at The Coliseum, 535 Fourth Ave. N., St. Petersburg. All ages welcome. Swing lessons offered 8 to 9 p.m. Dancing from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. Music, dancing, midnight countdown and balloon drop, party favors, prize giveaways and a cash bar. Vintage costumes encouraged. Cost is $15 in advance, $20 at the door. Call 727-892-5202.
- First Night – Wednesday, Dec. 31, 5 p.m. to midnight, at various locations throughout downtown St. Petersburg. First Night, an alcoholic free New Year’s Eve extravaganza, is in its 16th year and features family-friendly fun such as ghost tours, zydeco and cajun dance lessons, storytelling, tai chi demos and instruction and a community drumming circle. Live music and performances by the Blind Willie and Allen Moffatt Blues Allstar Review, the Mt. Zion Progressive Drum Line, Pickford Sundries, Freddy Montes y su Son, O Som Do Jazz, Tampa Bay Steel Drum Orchestra, Dundu Dole Urban African Ballet, T-Broussard and the Zydeco Steppers, St. Petersburg Opera Company, harpist Anna Kate Mackle, Florida West Ballet and Lutheran Church of the Cross Bell Choir. Fireworks at midnight. Cost is $10 adults, $5 children. Call 727-823-8906.
- New Year’s Eve Street Party – SRQ New Year’s, Wednesday, Dec. 31, Main Street, downtown Sarasota. Sponsored by the Downtown Merchant’s Association of Sarasota. Budweiser Party Express at Five Points, Human Cannonball, countdown and pineapple drop at midnight. Kids’ fun zone open from 2 to 8 p.m. on First Street, with circus shows, elephant rides and pony and camel rides. SRQ Magic Midway on State Street. Live entertainment on Main Street near Sarasota Hardware beginning at 9 p.m.; and on a stage outside the Gator Bar on Lemon Avenue, running 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. VIP Lounge and Casino Royale for VIP guests.
- New Year’s Eve for Kids – Wednesday, Dec. 31, 6:30 p.m. to 1 a.m., at Longwood Park, 6050 Longwood Run Blvd. Hosted by Sarasota County Parks and Recreation. Open to ages 5 to 12. Games, crafts, prizes, pizza and a movie. Bring blanket and pillow. Pre-registration required. Cost is $50. Call 941-861-5000.
- New Year’s Eve Scuba Dive – Wednesday, Dec. 31, 11:30 p.m., at Spanish Rocks, Holmes Beach. Certified scuba divers only. Hosted by Florida Underwater Sports. Call 941-870-4461.